The immersive factor in 3D games is partially the quality of the textures. so this post is about texturing for 3D games and MMORPG
Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) are a combination of role-playing video games and massively multiplayer online games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual world) as Second Life® – Quote from Wikipedia
Texture Maps Tutorial
I created a texture maps creation tutorial in May 2015 for some a CDS Guild class in Neufreistadt and reworked some of the text today regarding installing GIMP and the normal plugin.
Texture Map creation: which software?
Texture map creation as in diffuse, normal and specular map can be done in Adobe Photoshop or GIMP 2.8. This tutorial is for GIMP 2.8.
Content of the texture map tutorial
The PDF version of this tutorial is available to download and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Click on the license image to read about the license for this tutorial.
- What are texture maps?
- Which texture maps should be created for Second Life®?
- Requirements before starting this tutorial
- Seamless texture made from photo
- Installing GIMP + normal map plugin
- Basic knowledge of GIMP required
- Overview and process of creating maps in GIMP
- Cropping/resizing photo
- Making image seamless
- Adding the alpha channel
- Creating the normal map
- Creating the specular map
- Saving/exporting the maps
- Examples of maps
- Applying the maps in Second Life®